Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  • Users Online: 603
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Cover page of the Journal of Health Sciences
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 284-287

Morphological variation of human lung fissures and lobes: An anatomical cadaveric study in North Karnataka, India


Department of Anatomy, KLE's Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belagavi, Karnataka, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Suresh P Desai
Department of Anatomy, KLE's Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belagavi - 590 010, Karnataka
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2349-5006.196326

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: The lungs are a pair of vital organs of respiration which are divided into lobes by fissures. The fissures facilitate the movements of lobes and help in uniform expansion of the whole lungs. The fissure may be complete, incomplete, or absent. The knowledge of position and completeness of fissures and lobes is necessary for an appreciation of lobar anatomy and thus locating bronchopulmonary segments. Objectives: The objective of this study was to analyze the morphology of fissures and lobes of lungs. Materials and Methods: Twenty pairs of lungs were taken for the study, obtained from twenty formalin-fixed cadavers. The specimens were thoroughly observed for the pattern of lobes, fissure variations were noted, and the specimens were photographed. Results: Of the twenty right-sided lungs, incomplete oblique fissure was seen in six (30%) lungs. None of the lungs showed the absence of oblique fissure. Incomplete horizontal fissure was seen in ten (50%) lungs, and horizontal fissure was found absent in four (20%) lungs. Among the twenty lungs, four (20%) lungs showed two lobes due to the absence of horizontal fissure and the remaining 16 (80%) lungs showed normal lobar pattern of lungs. On the left side, incomplete oblique fissure was observed in two (25%) lungs, and two (25%) lungs showed the absence of oblique fissure. Due to the absence of oblique fissure, three (15%) specimens showed only one lobe while 17 (85%) lungs showed normal lobar pattern. There was no incidence of the presence of an accessory fissure in either side of the lungs. Conclusion: The present study when compared with a previous work showed a wide range of difference in the lobes and fissures between and among different populations. Knowledge of such variation may be important for performing lobectomies, surgical resections, and correct interpretation of radiological images.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1298    
    Printed13    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded143    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal